Thursday, November 20, 2008

Beans anyone?

I've found the cure for the old problem of impulse buying when you go to the store hungry. -- All it takes is to also have a headache - anyway nothing looks or sounds good to me when I've got a headache and so when I went to the store to pick up a prescription and thought I'd get something for my lunch and to maybe take for my dinner at work I came away with the prescription and a few other medicinal related items.
Soooo, when I told Dad about my solution to the impulse shopping problem he said that he'd felt that way the night before - not the headache but the lack of interest in any food. So he said he finally just heated up a can of bean soup. He said he's always like bean soup-- and that led to a story.
When Dad was growing up Monday was Bean Soup day. His mother, my Grandma Asay, would put a large pot of beans on to cook all day because it was also laundry and bread baking day. The bean soup was something that could cook pretty much on it's own while she did her other chores.
Their family owned about a quarter of a city block in Lovell. They grew a lot of their food - including beans.









He said when they harvested the beans they usually ended up with a couple of big sacks.




[Picture these sacks filled with beans instead of kids.] And they always ate all of the beans.
They also kept cows, & chickens - I asked, "right in the middle of town?" and he said, "Sure, everyone did it." To water their 'crops' and animals he and his brother Orvin would dig and clean the irrigation ditches around town to pay for their allotment of water.
On a personal note I'd like to report that I passed my Probation period and I think I'd have to mess up pretty bad to lose my job now.
PS: After I posted this I was telling Dad about it and about the picture of the kids in the gunny sack race. He said that their sacks were made of canvas and were about two feet longer than gunny sacks.

4 comments:

  1. Grandma's ham hock and bean soup was yummy. I have some very fond memories of snacking out of her garden (... and sometimes getting in trouble for eating unauthorized snacks, such as raspberries and strawberries.)
    Congratulations on your job security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief to pass probation! Congratulations! I love bean soup too, but my husband doesn't, so we don't have it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dad's bean soup - now I know where he gets it from!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you found pictures of kids in gunny sacks to go with your post. Especially when you have Grandpa explaining that their sacks were even bigger. It really helps to visualize that. Times sure have changed, haven't they?

    ReplyDelete