Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Group With A Mission

When we were young here in this gorgeous 'Big Sky Country' -- Billings and the area did not have a Stake. The individual Branch auxiliaries were overseen by the Mission. Mother was in the Mission Primary Presidency and traveled the state and some into neighboring states to visit with other leaders. I mostly remember those trips for the little gifts she would bring us back. I think that was her way of making missing her easier on us. She also told stories of the fun they had on their trips. I think she really loved her 'sisters' in the mission primary and although she missed us too she enjoyed the trips and getting together with her friends.

We recently came across this picture of a get-together they had with their spouses.

I'm sure you all recognize the couple on the front left. Good looking young people aren't they?! Next to Mother are Lois & JR Middleton (he's right behind her). On Lois's left is Heloise Butler - for some reason her husband isn't in the picture. Either he was taking the picture or maybe he was busy at their restaurant 'Butler's Broasted Chicken' [best chicken in Billings until it closed--Side story -- it's where our family went to celebrate when Dad finished paying off the mortgage]. Behind Heloise are the Fletchers. She was a very talented musician and he later was a mission president in Sweden. Dad says that he got his call in a rather unusual way. He was in a car with a General Authority who was visiting here and after the GA commented on Bro Fletcher's family background in Sweden the GA told him that he was the new mission president there. Don't know who the couple right behind Mother & Dad were.

Okay I want to ask all of the family to help out a little here. One of the reasons I haven't posted any new stories from Dad is because he's been trying to gather his thoughts to record his personal history. And I mean that literally. He's going to tape it and I have a gadget on my computer to transfer tape to CD so we can all share those stories in his own voice. What I'm asking of you all is to think about what you might like to hear. Are there times in his life you're curious about? If so let me know and I'll pass that on to him.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to see a post from you again, Laura. I will have to think a little while on the question you posed at the end of your post and get back to you. Thanks for taking care of Grandpa, and doing your best to ensure these parts of our family history get recorded.

    ReplyDelete