Thursday, March 20, 2008

Memories

The other day I told Dad that I'd had a craving the night before for BLT's and did he mind if I made some for dinner. He said sure. Then Mother mentioned that BLT's were the 1st meal they shared as a married couple. When they left the SLC temple after their wedding they went to a small restaurant nearby and that's what they ordered.

Then Dad told me that after he got back from Japan after WWII he ate BLT's for every meal for a while. He had gone so long during his service in the Army without fresh foods that that was all he wanted for a while.

So for them BLT's aren't just a comfort food -- they stir up good memories. Amazing what a simple sandwich can do.

I was reading David's blog and it reminded me of events in my early college days. That's when I was into pranks usually at the instigation of roommates. Both years of college (at Ricks College - nka BYU-Idaho)I lived in the basement of houses (a different one each year) off campus. The 1st year the girls upstairs were part of my home-evening group. They played a lot of tricks on each other and on their friends and boyfriends. One evening my roommate and I went up just as they were getting ready for one. When we walked in they looked up and said "let's have Laura do it." They told me that they wanted me to tell someone on the phone that our bathroom wasn't working - could we use theirs. It turned out it was the guys in our home evening group that they were calling. They guy who answered the phone said okay. So we took towels, soap, and tooth brushes and traipsed over (about a block away). Once there we lined up and took turns going in & out of the bathroom. We really didn't do anything but just run the water, so it was a pretty silly prank. But the guys who lived downstairs from them got a big kick out of it - watching us lining up and taking our turns.

It was my second year that things got a little more active. We had a few running gags, i.e. we'd call guys up and sing the Big Spender song. Somehow I became the main chanteuse for that joke. Or we'd call people up and tell them that they had won a free pizza from the local pizza joint. I don't know how many times we did either of those but the one I remember is when we called a girl I worked early morning janitorial with. When I got the work the next morning she was in the process of telling our other co-worker about it. It seems our call came just as she was getting ready to go to bed (had to get up early for work in the morning). So she told her roommate that she and her boyfriend could have it. They hurried over and told the people at the pizzeria that they were there to pick up LuJean Bullock's free pizza. When the pizza people looked at them like they were crazy they realized it was a joke, but they thought that LuJean was the one playing it on them. After she told us the story LuJean said she knew who it was. Well, she didn't really, and I didn't tell her until the end of the school year.

Two of my roommates had two tricks they played on each other (and the rest of us some of the time). They threw glasses of cold water over the shower curtain on whoever was in there. So one day my roommate Jan threw the water into the shower when I was the showeree. It totally missed me, but she didn't realize that and was afraid that I might retaliate. She offered me info to my benefit to buy me off. It seems that Sherri - the roommate in my bedroom had put ice-cubes in my bed. (their other favorite trick). I took them out before they could melt without letting Sherri know. Then I took my time getting ready for bed. When I finally pulled back the covers and slipped in I settled down comfortably and turned over. After a few seconds I heard "Asay?" "Yes, Sherri," I said with a calm tone. "What happened to the ice!?" she asked. I told her I had found it and removed it earlier. I never did tell her that Jan ratted her out but I think maybe she figured it out because Jan's bed had ice the next night.

3 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post - I love learning new things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew Aunt Laura was a prankster?

    ReplyDelete