Sunday, February 24, 2008

Childhood Memories

Nancy's recent post about her favorite childhood program reminded me of mine - a cartoon called "Ruff and Ready". Unfortunately it seems that everyone I've mentioned it to never heard of it. So this morning out of curiosity I looked it up on the Internet and found this info in Wikipedia:


"The Ruff & Reddy Show is a Hanna-Barbera animated series starring Ruff, a cat voiced by Don Messick, and Reddy, a dog voiced by Daws Butler. First broadcast in December 1957 on NBC, it was the first television show produced by Hanna-Barbera. NBC cancelled the show at the end of the 1959-1960 season.
Messick's "Ruff" voice was very similar to the one he would later use for Pixie the mouse (whose nemesis Jinks the cat is known for the line 'I hate those meeces to pieces!'). Butler used his tried-and-true southern drawl for "Reddy", a voice that would later become mainly identified with Huckleberry Hound."


Just to show how unreliable our memories can be I thought that both characters were dogs. I do have a vivid memory of getting up early Saturday mornings to watch it - sitting really close to the tv with the sound down low because I was the only one up. I remember being in either that position or sitting on the heat vent when Dad came home from work. Both Mother & Dad worked night shifts but since this probably happened in 1959 or 60 when I was 6 or 7 Mother wouldn't have been working at that time (aside from the all-consuming business of being a mother).

2 comments:

  1. I do that too Laura - I just wanted you to know Britt has started a blog for Mom and Dad to read - cold you please make sure they get to read hers too.

    Thanks, Lesli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don Messick and Daws Butler were incredible voice talents! They created characters that I was watching when I was watching cartoons in the 80's . . . okay, I still watch cartoons.

    ReplyDelete